Stavovske Divadlo (Estates Theater)
At the time when it was opened, in 1783, the classicist Estates Theater was called Count Nostitz's Theatre, after the aristocrat who had it built. It was part of 18th century enlightenment principles, which saw theaters as demonstrations of a nation's cultural standards. In 1798 the Czech Estates bought Count Nostitz's theater, re-naming it the Theater of the Estates (Stavovske Divadlo). It was for a time dedicated to showing exclusively Czech performances until 1862, when it was taken over by a German ensemble and re-named the Royal Provincial German Theater. Finally, in 1920, it again became the Theater of the Estates and, except for a brief time during WWII, has maintained this historic name. Although there were some complications, Czech performances took over the stage and this became a place for Czech people to enjoy high art. Here, Mozart premiered two operas, Don Giovanni and La Clemenza di Tito. Still intact, the Estates Theater is Prague's most beautiful theater and experiencing a performance here is a true delight.
read more about Stavovske Divadlo (Estates Theater)