Luxurious Destinations
Germany
Destinations Within Germany

Germany Trip Itineraries

My Munich Guide

Destination(s): Munich

Hofgarten

Hofgarten

  • Hofgartenstraße
  • Innenstadt
  • tel:+49 89 2339 6500
  • Visit website
  • Munich, 80539
Neuschwanstein Castle Small Group Day Tour from Munich

Neuschwanstein Castle Small Group Day Tour from Munich

Blutenburg

Blutenburg

  • Schloß Blutenburg 1
  • Obermenzing
  • tel:+49 89 891 2110
  • Visit website
  • München, 81247
Munich City Hop-on Hop-off Tour

Munich City Hop-on Hop-off Tour

Theatinerkirche St. Kajetan

Theatinerkirche St. Kajetan

  • Theatinerstraße 22
  • tel:+49 89 210 6960
  • Visit website
  • München, 80333

The Theatinerkirche is one of the most striking, both inside and out,  in Munich.  Electress Henriette Adelaide and her husband Elector Ferdinand Maria had it built on the occasion of the birth of their first male child, which gave them a successor.  Elector Ferdinand first began construction of Nymphenburg palace to thank his wife and then started on the Theatinerkirche to thank god.
The church was built in Italian high-baroque style after San Andrea del Valle in Rome and designed by the Italian architect Agostino Barelli. His successor, Enrico Zuccalli, added two towers, which originally were not planned and then finished the 71 meter (233 ft) high dome in 1690. The facade in rococo style was completed only in 1768 by François de Cuvilles. Its Mediterranean appearance and yellow coloring became a well known symbol for the city and had much influence on Southern German baroque architecture.
Much of the interior was destroyed in bombing, but the towers and facade are mostly original.  This church also serves as one of the two main burial places for the Wittelsbach family, who ruled Bavaria from 1180 until 1918.
read more about Theatinerkirche St. Kajetan

Isartor

Isartor

The first and last of Munich's city gates for Munich's second set of city walls, the Isartor, was built in 1337.  Kaiser Ludwig IV the Bavarian had second city wall built to protect the expanding city and the wall remained until the late 1700's.  All of the other city gates were eventually torn down or dramatically modified, but the Isartor remains quite close to its original look.  It was restored between 1833 and 1835 by Friedrich von Gärtner. The murals were painted in 1835 and depict the victorious return of Ludwig IV the Bavarian to Munich after the battle of Ampfing in 1322.  The Isartor is today used as part of the Valentin Museum as well as a cafe. 
read more about Isartor

Königsplatz

Königsplatz

  • Luisenstraße
  • tel:+49 89 2339 6500
  • Visit website
  • München, 80333
Sendlinger Tor

Sendlinger Tor

Alte Pinakothek

Alte Pinakothek

  • Barer Strasse 27
  • (Eingang: Theresienstraße)
  • tel:+49 89 2380 5156
  • Visit website
  • München, 80333
Alter Peter (St. Peter)

Alter Peter (St. Peter)

  • Rindermarkt 1
  • Innenstadt
  • tel:+49 89 260 4828
  • Visit website
  • Munich, 80331
Wittelsbacher Brunnen

Wittelsbacher Brunnen

  • Lenbachplatz
  • Innenstadt
  • tel:+49 89 2339 6500 / +49 89 233 96 500(Tourist Information)
  • Visit website
  • Munich, 80333
Marienplatz

Marienplatz

Marienplatz has been the central sqaure of Munich since its founding by Henry the Lion in 1158.  It was originally named Schrannenplatz and once held the salt and grain market, but it is now used by the city for various concerts and events, but mainly by tourists trying to get photos of the old and new town halls.  After the market was moved around the corner starting in 1807, the square was renamed Marienplatz.  The statue of Mary has stood in the center of Marienplatz since 1638 and is the reason of the new name of the square.
read more about Marienplatz

Karlstor

Karlstor

  • Karlsplatz (Stachus)
  • Innenstadt
  • tel:+49 89 2339 6500 (Touristen Information)
  • Visit website
  • Munich, 80335

The original Neuhauser Tor served as Munich's western city gate until Elector Karl Theodor had the city walls demolished in 1791 to open the city up for easier commerce.  The original gate was demolished as well, but a commemorative gate was built and named Karlstor after Elector Karl Theodor.  The entire platz was redesigned by the archetect Gabriel von Siedl between 1899 and 1902.  Most visitors to Munich enter the old town through this gate as  the main train station is to the west of the old town.
read more about Karlstor

Olympic park

Olympic park

  • Spiridon-Lois-Ring 21
  • Olympiastadt
  • tel:+49 89 3067 2414
  • Visit website
  • München, 80809
Schloss Nymphenburg

Schloss Nymphenburg

  • Schlossrondell
  • Nymphenburg
  • tel:+49 89 17 9080
  • Visit website
  • München, 80638
Altes Schloss Schleißheim

Altes Schloss Schleißheim

  • Maximilianshof 1
  • Oberschleißheim
  • tel:+49 89 315 5272
  • Visit website
  • Oberschleißheim, 85764
Frauenkirche

Frauenkirche