Basilica di Superga
The Basilica of Superga sits 670 metres atop the hill of Superga overlooking Turin. Designed by Filippo Juvarra in 1717 and completed in 1731, the building is some 75 metres high, 51 metres long and 34 metres wide. Built to fulfill a vow to the Virgin Mary by Duke Vittorio Amedeo II on the eve of his victory over the French at the Battle of Turin in 1706. The Basilica's crypts contain many members of the Savoy Royal family. At the rear of the Basilica is a memorial plaque in memory of the 31 members of the Grande Torino football club who perished when their plane crashed into the base of the rear wall of the Basilica complex on the 4th May 1949.
read more about Basilica di Superga